Looking for a bite size treat for your child’s lunch box? Or for an after school snack? These Chocolate Banana Oat Muffins are the best low carb chocolate muffin and are PERFECT!
Finding healthy, low card, blood sugar friendly snacks and treats for my lil guy is a struggle. About 10 months after his diagnosis, I transitioned him into Preschool. Now, this post isn’t about that, but Momma’s…I was NERVOUS.
To add to it, they didn’t allow any prepackaged, processed, or unhealthy foods. Which I did actually love. But, as a fairly “new” Mom of a Type 1, I was left scratching my head at what exactly I could send him with that was healthy, substantial, AND LOW CARB.
What I love about these Low Carb Chocolate Muffins:
Nothing against almond flour…just sayin’.
I think I love them most because I don’t feel guilty if my son eats 2, 3, or 4 of them!
The key to keeping these muffins low in carbs and SUPER kid-friendly is their size. So, you’ve got to invest in a Mini Muffin Pan, or two!
Another tip I want to share is you HAVE TO use mini muffin liners. They are just SO MUCH easier than ruining your muffin pan with knife scratches trying to dig out the muffins, or use the silicon muffin pan (linked above). Trust me on this! I have ruined MANY muffin/cupcake pans. Oh! and spray the muffin liners with a little PAM.
HUGE suggestion: Put all the liquid ingredients in the blender first; starting with the egg whites. Oats go in last. If you put the oats in first, it will not blend easy. The batter will get thick. Scrape down the sides of the blender at least once and continue blending.
The perfect size scoop is a melon baller or cookie scoop. It’s roughly about 1.5 Tablespoons.
Course: Baked Goods
Main Ingredient: Oats
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 12 min
Total Time: 22 min
- 1 3⁄4 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 3 Egg Whites
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1⁄2 cup Banana mashed
- 1⁄2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Hot Water
- 1⁄4 cup Date Sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Creamy Sunbutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (24) cup mini muffin pan with mini muffin liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the sunbutter in a mug or microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until melted.
- In a blender (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
- Using a 1 Tbsp measuring spoon, scoop 1 heaping tablespoon into muffin tins.
- Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool muffins before removing from pan.
Amount Per Serving (1)
- Carbohydrate: 3.9g each
So there it is. The best low carb chocolate muffin. Perfect for your Type 1’s lunchbox or after school snack!
If you’ve tried these, let us know how you like them.