These low carb Type 1 kids donut are a SUPER WIN for us.
Seriously, my type 1 will be getting this low carb type 1 kids mini donut in his lunchbox all.the.time! With just 5-6g carbs per donut, Low Carb Type 1 Kids Donut needs to get added to the line up, made in bulk, and frozen for quick treats.
Making /adapting recipes for low carb, kid-friendly, Type 1 approved baked goods, is a real challenge. Almond flour tends to make baked goods, especially donuts, very dense. Which can also make them have an “under cooked” wet texture. This is a challenge when working with larger donuts, they are fragile. These had a nice crust and were actually spongy in texture!
You (oh, yea…and your Type 1) are gonna love these! You can trust me on this one. I have done my fear share of donut trials… Here’s a tiny look. …See…
I am pleased that these Classic Mini Donuts have a nicely cooked crust with soft, airy (if you will) cake-like texture inside. They’re no Krispy Kreme but, being able to whip out 4 homemade donuts for 20g carbs after dinner one weeknight and feel good about him eating them, is a win for both me and my Type 1.
It’s a no brainer to quickly whip these up and keep them aside for snacks, they don’t take very long at all. I love that they don’t need frosting, so they are easier to store and use as a snack or lunchbox treat. But, even if you did want frosting, you could frost a couple from the batch.
Every Mom of a Type 1 could use a few go-to Type 1 kids recipes, and this is one you’ll want to keep in your recipe box!
We believe “kid first, diabetes second,” however, “diabetes second” doesn’t mean careless. And while I allow my Type 1 son to indulge in all “regular” foods once in a while, I’d rather let him indulge often on choices that are still yummy, healthy and don’t impact his blood sugar.
Why You’ll Love These Low Carb Type 1 Kids Classic Mini Donuts:
You will need either a mini donut pan, or a donut maker. If you don’t have a donut maker, I prefer the Dash Express Mini Donut Maker. You can take a look in our “Resources” sections at the top of the page, under “Fave Tools” for a referral link that will give you $10 off your first order through the manufacturer directly. At the time of this post, with that coupon, the Mini Donut Maker would be $9.99!
Low Carb Donuts
- Dash Electric Mini Donut Maker
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup Truvia or sweetener of choice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/8 tsp xanthun gum
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Fairlife 2% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Truvia liquid vanilla sweetener
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Mix almond flour, flour, baking powder, sweetener, salt, and xanthum gum in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together egg, milk, vanilla extract, and liquid sweetener in a separate bowl.
- Melt butter in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir just to combine. Slowly pour some of the melted butter into the batter, and stir to combine; working in 3 batches until the butter is stirred in.
- Let batter rest for 1 minute. Plug in Dash Mini Donut Maker Express and get to temp.
- Scoop batter into a 1-gallon plastic ziplock bag and seal partway. Snip off a small slice of the corner of the bag to make a whole to pipe the dough into donut molds.
- Add batter to donut molds. Give a generous squeeze around the mold. The Batter should take up most of the mold and will puff out to fill the mold.
- Close the lid.
- Bake for 1 1/2 minutes. Use a toothpick to flip the donuts and bake for another 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.
- Remove from Dash Mini Donut Maker Express carefully, they will be hot. Set aside and let them cool and start another batch.
VARIATIONS YOU CAN TRY
1/4 cup of Lily Baking Chips (awesome on blood sugars btw!!). Use a food processor to chop up the baking chips (or chocolate chips) so they are very small.
2 Tbsp. of cocoa powder + 1 Tbsp. liquid no carb sweetener for chocolate donut.
Melt 2 Tbsp. baking chips + 1 tsp coconut oil, melted in microwave. Dip donuts in melted chocolate for a chocolate “frosting.”
…or a combo of all of the above! haha.